Science wing up and operational in October
Walking into school the day after a break, the students and staff are usually in a quiet murmur, but Monday students walking into Jason Maas-Baldwin’s Chemistry class were buzzing with excitement as they entered their brand new science room.
After construction ended in mid-October on a new wing in the former freshmen fields, four CHS teachers—Brian Granbery, Kevin Buran, Jason Maas-Baldwin and Joe Mello—moved into the sparkling classrooms over break.
The teachers seemed to be floating on clouds, all agreeing that they loved their new classrooms.
“It’s kind of like sleeping in a hotel for the first night,” Mello says. “It just feels a little weird, but it’s good.”
The students seemed equally thrilled with the classrooms, appreciating the added space and new facilities.
“It looks like a real intense college lab classroom,” CHS senior Scott Weismann says.
Construction for an amphitheater is planned to begin in November and should be finished by the end of winter break, according to CHS assistant principal Tom Parry.
College Fair set Nov. 5 showcase
The time for students to consider their futures has come around yet again, and with it comes CHS’ Annual Monterey Peninsula High School College Fair, taking place Nov. 5 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the CHS gymnasium.
More than 80 colleges will be represented, including UCLA, USC, UC San Diego, St. Mary’s College, San Jose State, Colgate University and many others.
“A really big advantage is that you get to meet representatives who know everything about their schools,” College and Career Center advisor Patricia Hunt says. “They can give you all the specifics…and all the application information.”
Hunt also believes the college fair is a great way to learn about new and smaller schools that, while not as well known, might be the right choice for students.
In the past the college fair has been well attended and somewhat crowded, so students are advised to attend.
National Merit recognizes CHS seniors
Almost a year after first taking the PSAT, CHS seniors Molly McNeely, Peter Mellinger and Andrew Wan were named “Commended Students” by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Out of 1.5 million PSAT scores, McNeely’s, Mellinger’s and Wan’s scores were in the top 50,000, or the top 3% in California.
Only those in the top 1% move on to become National Merit Scholar Finalists. In two-thirds of the other states, the three would have made the top 1%, but because of California’s vastness the required scores were high, according to CHS counselor Jeff Schatz.
“We took the test last year so I kind of forgot about it,” McNeely says. “But it was a nice recognition.”
Although the three students didn’t study for the PSAT, through rigorous coursework and dedication the three seniors were well prepared.
“I never tried to take an easy route, and I don’t waste time,” Mellinger says.
The three agree that in order to get to where they are now, freshmen should develop good study habits early and challenge themselves.
What is Mellinger’s advice to freshmen?
“Decide if being a good academic student is important to you.”
CHS talent show postponed indefinitely
Uncertainty clouds the air around the annual CHS talent show, originally scheduled for Nov. 7 and now postponed indefinitely.
According to CHS activities director Leigh Cambra, the talent show has been pushed back to second semester, although a set date has not been confirmed.
Currently ASB is looking for available dates that will work alongside Singer-Songwriters’ Guild concerts, drama plays and other music department shows.
“The timeline I proposed [ASB] didn’t seem interested in,” says CHS music director Brian Handley, “and to make it happen at that time, the auditions would have had to take place this week, and they didn’t seem interested in that.”
When the talent show will be held is still uncertain.
Handley adds, “I am definitely pushing for it to be sometime during first semester since second semester is so busy.”
York School evacuates due to Fort Ord fire
The skies from Monterey to Salinas were full of clouds of smoke on Oct. 14, and by the following morning there were cars in Carmel covered in ash due to the U.S. Army burning 341 acres of the retired Fort Ord Base.
The burn was supposed to be controlled, but around 1 p.m. the burn jumped over the south containment line. The school was in no immediate danger, but York School was told by authorities to evacuate its students.
According to York senior Nils Franco, early into their fifth period students were told to go to certain classrooms according to grade and wait for parents and guardians.
“Coming out of our classes we were suddenly looking at police, firemen, news vans, and the flames were visible from the quad,” Franco says.
The fire was contained around three hours later.